“When we are writing songs that connect people to God, part of that process is pushing fear out of the way”
In episode 90, John sits down with Worship Leader and Songwriter, Chris McClarney. Chris grew up in the church as the son of a Youth Pastor and met Jesus at a very young age. When he was 14, he began leading worship for a small group, which led to full-time ministry in local churches and inner-city ministries across Nashville.
“My personal style of leading worship is seeking moments, as opposed to just playing songs really well”
Chris’ powerful worship anthem “Your Love Never Fails” has become one of the most popular songs in America’s churches as reported in the Top 25 of CCLI and a #1 song on the Billboard Christian Chart. Chris then partnered with Jesus Culture Music and recorded his debut live album “Everything and Nothing Less.” This powerful live album featured songs recorded live at the 2015 Jesus Culture Sacramento Conference.
“I write a lot of bad songs, but every now and then, I write a song that people like”
Since that time, Chris has released more music and just released his new album titled “Breakthrough.” He currently serves as Worship Pastor at Church of the City in Franklin, TN while touring with Jesus Culture and others to lead the world in Worship through powerful songs and intentional moments.
Some topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction // Chris McClarney – 2:12
- Hearing Ten Thousand People Sing Your Songs – 6:45
- Chris’ Start as a Worship Leader – 8:50
- How Chris Stays Grounded – 13:38
- The Weight of the Call – 20:46
- Spontaneity in Worship – 23:32
- Removing the Barriers of Comparison – 26:50
- The Vision behind the New Record “Breakthrough” – 31:10
- Chris’ Songwriting Process – 36:55
- Learning From Your Mistakes and Train Wrecks – 43:45
- Wrap Up – 48:02
Find out more about Chris and download his new album at https://chrismcclarneymusic.com/
NCS Boot Camp is an Online 8-Week Personal Mentoring Program for Christian Songwriters
Designed to lead you step by step to the most powerful expressions of songwriting you’ve ever experienced, glorifying God fully by utilizing the gifts He’s placed in you, and overcoming the fears and procrastination that have held you back for far too long to get your songs out there!
Begins Nov 12! Apply Now – https://www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com/bootcamp/
How to get involved
- Join the Successful Christian Songwriters Group on Facebook and continue the discussion! https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuccessfulChristianSongwriters/
- Check out all of the resources for you to become the songwriter you were meant to be at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!