Aug 20, 2017
Many aspiring songwriters wonder why their songs aren’t having the impact they desire. Is this you? After all, you’ve felt the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to write down your thoughts, feelings, and passionate worship for God. Maybe you’ve felt driven to share a part of your story that is difficult, but you feel the need to help others through what you’ve been through, so you’re risking the vulnerability to put it in a song. But… *cricket cricket*… no one seems to care.
The truth is that there are thousands of Christian writers wanting to write about their passion for God and share their stories. How do you manage to stand out above the noise and have anyone pay attention? Here’s another truth: The effectiveness and impact of your song is directly correlated with the quality of your original idea, no matter what the subject matter.
In this episode of The Song Revolution Podcast, veteran worship songwriter and teacher, John Chisum, lays out important ways to increase the quality of your song ideas from which a higher quality song can be written. Chisum believes that most songwriters would be better served to spend more time on their ideas than the actual writing of them, given the writer has the right set of skills with which to capture those ideas.
Learn how to power up your songs immediately by increasing the quality of your ideas as John shares:
- Why a song is only as strong as its one central idea
- Why elevating your song idea is the ONLY way to grab the attention of publishers, artists, and record companies
- How to be heard by increasing the power of your song ideas before you write them
- Why pro songwriters get all the lucky breaks
- What would make publishers, producers, and artists jump out of their seats to work with you
- The importance of “song idea radar” and why you need it
- Why better ideas equals better hooks and better hooks equals better songs
- The secret sauce of hit songs and how you can use it in your songwriting
- Why Meghan Trainor’s “All About That Bass” was the breakout hit of 2014
- How to dramatically increase the power of your titles with the simple device of alliteration
- And more…
This is the first in a four-part podcast series. Upcoming episodes will cover:
Part 2 – Writing from the “Essence” of Ideas and How to Craft Compelling Hooks from Them
Part 3 – Originality and How to Cultivate It Easily Into Your Songwriting
Part 4 – Letting Your “North Star” Hook Guide You Through the Songwriting Process
Be sure to join NCS MEMBERSHIP today at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com for the finest songwriter resources, coaching, inspiration and information!