“The process of discovering a song, is that it comes together. It may just be a thought, or an idea, or a line. As you move forward, though, it will unfold before you.”
In this episode of the Song Revolution Podcast, John Chisum sits down with one of Nashville’s most influential songwriters and artists, Cindy Morgan. Cindy is a two time Grammy nominee, and the recipient of 12 Dove Awards. She has written 21 #1 hits and co-written with a multitude of notable artists including Amy Grant, India.Arie, Rascal Flatts, Natalie Grant, Michael W. Smith, Point of Grace, Mandisa, Francesca Battistelli, and so many others.
She presents a beautiful and unique sound, and is an example of owning individuality in every component of the craft. Cindy gives insight into how she found her voice, and recognized her strength as a singer songwriter, and abandoned the “need” to write the genre she felt would sell the best.
“When you’ve been carrying the story with you your whole life, it comes out easy, because you know it. A lot of times we run away from what we know, we try to write what will sell.”
Cindy is currently working on an album called Bad Creek, set to begin recording in August. She draws inspiration from the rich musical legacy of her family, and her childhood in the backwoods of Kentucky. This album will be a tribute to this heritage, and this episode of Song Revolution Podcast features a song we can look forward to hearing on the album!
In addition to this album, Cindy is also writing an EP based on love songs of the Old Testament. She and John discuss the flawed nature of the characters of the Old Testament, but the passion for God that can be found in the midst of their failures.
“The goal in songwriting is to find pure, fresh eyes for something that is familiar.”
If you would like to hear more of Cindy’s music and stay up to date with her current projects, you can visit www.cindymorganmusic.com
Some topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction // Cindy Morgan – 2:10
- Cindy’s Start with Music – 11:26
- Cindy’s Current Work – 14:50
- Track Writing, Top Line Writing, and Writing Organically – 17:20
- Notable Work With Artists – 24:30
- Musical Roots – 26:50
- Bad Creek: Album and Documentary – 29:20
- ** Preacher Woman – 35:20
- Cindy’s Songwriting Process – 40:20
- Writing Love Songs from the Old Testament – 47:40
- ** West of Nod – 48:40
- Connecting with Cindy Morgan – 1:01:23
- Advice for Songwriters – 1:03:05
- Wrap Up – 1:05:00
** Listen to some of Cindy’s music!
How to get involved
- Join the Successful Christian Songwriters Group on Facebook and continue the discussion! www.facebook.com/groups/SuccessfulChristianSongwriters
- Check out all of the resources for you to become the songwriter you were meant to be at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!
This Post Has One Comment
Wow, talk about a great interview! This was so much more than I was expecting to hear. Cindy Morgan is not only a great song writer but a great story teller as well. This is another must listen to interview but John Chisum with one of the greats of Christian songwriting community! Thanks for posting this, God bless!!!