“There’s a difference between a dream and a fantasy. A dream is something you’re willing to take some steps towards… you just cannot help but go hard after it.”
In episode 76, John tackles the burning question on the mind of nearly every songwriter who desires to reach a larger audience in the music realm. John gives a brief background of his own journey with songwriting, publishing, and career with Integrity music.
“Do something to further your craft. Anything, Even a small thing is better than living in a fantasy world waiting for someone to come and do this for you… If this is a true passion in your life, you’ll be willing to do something about it.”
John discusses the tools we have to spread our message that are right in our hand. So many times we overcomplicate the idea of sharing our music. When we do our part to get our music out there, opportunities are created for others to hear our message and for others, including publishers, to take note. John also shares meaningful statistics that cut down the notion that we have to wait for a publisher, in order to be successful in the music industry.
“You have, in the palm of you hand, the most overlooked publishing mechanism in the world… We need to lose the excuses of needing the right people… build up your craft so that they’ll be chasing you… it’s an old mindset to think that someone is going to ‘discover’ you. ”
John shares three fundamental keys for songwriting success, as given by Ralph Murphy from ASCAP. These simple keys, that are easily implemented will increase the quality and power of your songs.
Creating phenomenal songs, and utilizing the power you hold right in your hand, will help secure your platform in the music community.
Some topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction // John Chisum – 1:35
- The Nagging Question- Am I Good Enough to Be a Songwriter?- 12:30
- A Short History of John’s Publishing Career- 17:40
- Utilizing Technology to Share Your Craft- 20:20
- Starting Where You Are- 37:01
- Three Principles to Songwriting Success- 47:29
- Wrap Up – 55:45
How to get involved
- Join the Successful Christian Songwriters Group on Facebook and continue the discussion! https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuccessfulChristianSongwriters/
- Check out all of the resources for you to become the songwriter you were meant to be at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!