“Most often, the Holy Spirit gives inspiration that you can then take and, with the other gifts, talents, and tools that you have, craft it in a way the entire world can embrace”
In episode 66, John dives back into writing hit hooks. This is the 4th episode in this series and today, we’re talking about “Universality”.
“The quality of your song will never exceed the quality of your hook”
What does it mean to be “universal”? When you’re writing a hook, it’s important to keep the listener in mind. The idea of universality in songwriting is simply identifying key areas that are universally felt, known, or believed in order to connect with people on a deeper and more common level.
Think about your favorite song. There is a good chance that it’s tied to a memory, and emotion, or something you were going through at that time in your life. Our goal as Christian songwriters should always be to reveal truth in a new and fresh way – BUT we have to remember to be universally minded, or our songs won’t connect.
“That the greatest hooks capture something that is universally felt, known, or believed”
NCS offers this podcast as a free resource, as well as many other videos, trainings, emails, and articles that you can take advantage of today.
If you’re ready to invest in your songwriting to take it to the next level, we also offer our flagship 8 week bootcamp and NCS Membership to equip you even more.
“The people that break out choose not to rewrite the same phrases again and again”
Don’t forget to register now and reserve your spot at our NCS Weekend Intensive coming in June 2018. You can get all of the information and join some of the best in Nashville as you learn valuable tips and insights to become the songwriter you were meant to be
Some topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction – 1:18
- Upcoming Podcast Guests and Interviews – 5:10
- What’s Missing in a Songwriter’s Life – 11:05
- The Importance of a Quality Hook – 14:40
- Recap on Emotion in Writing Hooks – 15:45
- Universality – What it Means – 18:00
- Writing Things that are NEW – 23:02
- Feelings Can Be Universal – 30:15
- Reasons Songs Don’t Translate – 37:22
- Using Alliteration in Your Hooks – 39:15
- Benefits of NCS Bootcamp and Membership – 42:10
- Wrap Up – 46:00
How to get involved
- Join the Successul Christian Songwriters Group on Facebook and continue the discussion! https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuccessfulChristianSongwriters/
- Check out all of the resources for you to become the songwriter you were meant to be at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!